Job Title: Policy & External Affairs Manager
Location: Flexible Working (Parent Office Kirkham)
Entitlement: 25 days holiday, plus Bank Holidays
We are searching for an outstanding analyst and communicator to provide education and representation for businesses seeking to understand changes in the energy and environmental and adopt new strategies to support cost reduction and improved corporate environmental performance.
The successful candidate will be responsible for analysing and interpreting government and regulatory developments, providing information to customers in clear written and oral form, building and maintaining relationships with current and prospective customers.
This is a dual role, working across two brands within the Inspired PLC group of companies. For Inspired Energy, our core business providing energy procurement and energy efficiency consultancy you will be required to:
• provide weekly internal and external updates on changes in energy and environmental policy
• support internal colleagues to understand the changes and how these may affect Inspired’s business model or impact customers (energy end-users’) energy bills and environmental compliance requirements
• take part in events and webinars to explain these changes to customers
You will also work with our education brand, ICON. ICON is a membership organisation which specialises in news and education for energy and sustainability practitioners, staff motivation and awareness training. For ICON, you will:
• Provide weekly external updates on changes in energy and environmental policy
• Produce educational literature on a range of social, environmental and utilities related topics, tailored to a range of different audiences
• Create and help lead online and classroom training on a range of social, environmental and utilities related topics
• Create feature articles and opinion pieces for publication on our news-site, www.theicon.org.uk
• Manage customer relationships including taking phone messages and handling queries and providing a ‘follow-up’ service.
• Manage social media channels including both scheduled posts and reactive engagement. Hootsuite is currently the preferred platform for scheduling posts.
• Work as part of a team to organise events and workshops including confirming delegate attendance and organising materials
This may suit job-seekers with a background in policy, communications, journalism or energy and sustainability. The ideal candidate is a great communicator, able to take a partisan approach to politics, committed to environmental best practise, capable of managing their workload and can maintain a pleasant and helpful demeanour under pressure.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a market-leading company in a rapidly evolving industry.
• Reviewing output from government, the regulatory bodies and other key agencies. BEIS, DEFRA, HMT, Ofgem, Ofwat, the Environment Agency and National Grid are our main contact points.
• Communicating changes to customers using a combination of media including social media, industry presentations, video content and written literature. Communications to be clear and concise and capable of being understood by professional and non-professional audiences.
• Membership management – Coordinate executive communications with customers and prospective customers. This will include taking and making calls, responding to emails and making introductory contact with organisations that may not be familiar with ICON/Inspired.
• PR – Liaise with media contacts and staff from government departments and regulatory bodies. Prepare press releases and field enquiries as appropriate. Act as an ambassador for the sustainability sector and the ICON/Inspired brands
• To assist the development of products and services for customers, especially around regulated services including non-financial disclosure and financing of carbon reduction programmes. This to be delivered in line with national policy objectives (e.g. Net Zero), sectoral initiatives (e.g. the NHS Long Term Plan) and recognised standards and reporting taxonomies for carbon management and sustainability (e.g. TCFD, GRI, UN SDGs).
• To liaise with customers about matters pertaining to utilities and carbon reduction technologies, highlighting any business risks or opportunities to the senior management team.
• Ensuring services are delivered in line with relevant legislation and Inspired policies including those relating to Social Value, Equality and Diversity, Customer Service and Health and Safety.
• To undertake such other duties as may be required from time to time that reasonably fall within the scope and grade of the post.
• Read and comply with the company Health & Safety Policy; taking reasonable care for the Health & Safety of themselves and others; co-operate with managers and other employees in fulfilling our objectives and statutory duties.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in preparing written analysis of policy and legislation from a business perspective (i.e. the consumer of energy, the producer of waste)
- Awareness of current environmental policy and energy/carbon market drivers impacting business decision making, including the Net Zero ambition
- Experience in developing ideas and managing multiple stakeholders to bring new services to market
- Experience providing advice and information to informed and casual stakeholders on complex matters
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills, with an ability to become familiar with other programs and software where training is given
- Excellent command of the English language with strong verbal and written communication skills.
- European Language skills
- Strong network of professionals and persons of influence operating in the energy and environmental industries
- Operational experience of environmental management including the ISO14001 standard
- Operational experience of sustainability disclosure and knowledge of the Taskforce for Climate-related Financial Disclosure, the Sustainable Finance Disclosure Regulations and similar initiatives.
- Knowledge of sustainable procurement and social value standards including ISO20400 and the Social Value Act.
- Knowledge of government finance packages for energy efficiency and renewable energy capital projects, e.g. Industrial Energy Transformation Fund and Salix Energy Efficiency Finance loans.
- Experience using customer relationship management (CRM) software, ideally SugarCRM
This is a multi-faceted role working with colleagues across a range of disciplines including procurement, education, marketing, and energy optimisation.
In ICON/Inspired’s Regulated Services division, we look for skills and experience but just as important to us are your values and behaviours. This role would be suitable to a person who:
- Is a team player
- Is able to influence and inspire
- Has a positive outlook and a growth mindset,
- Reflects on their experiences and constantly seeks to improve
- Is a proactive problem-solver
- Has excellent presentations skills both written and verbal
- Displays respect, helpfulness and co-operation to colleagues and customers
- Has the ability to communicate with people from a range of socio-economic backgrounds
- Will be a great ambassador for the Inspired brand.
In return, the right candidate can look forward to a varied and dynamic role in rapidly evolving sector with plenty of opportunity to develop skills in policy analysis, communications and sustainability.
WHY WORK FOR US?
At Inspired, we’re creating the environment and the opportunities for a challenging and rewarding career. In return, you’ll enjoy a supportive, friendly working environment with benefits including:
- Training and development opportunities
- Company pension
- Numerous Social and Charity events throughout the calendar year
- Endless incentives – from gift vouchers to early finishes
- Performance related bonus
- Free, on-site parking
- Social games area
- Unlimited tea and coffee
- Remote working can be considered for the right candidate
- 4pm finish on Friday