Job Title: Sustainability Consultant (Graduate)
Location: Flexible Working
Entitlement: 25 days holiday, plus Bank Holidays
The focus of this role is to provide environmental and sustainability consultancy services to our clients in the industrial, commercial, public and third sectors.
You could be working on sustainability strategies for the NHS, for Local Authorities and for other public bodies helping them analyse water, waste, biodiversity, energy and carbon data and set out recommendations to improve performance in these areas. We align our reports to the principles of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
If you join the team as our Sustainability Consultant, you will be responsible for developing and executing a robust but stretching programme of product development to support customers to improve energy efficiency, reduce waste and comply with mandatory and voluntary sectoral reporting and target requirements. We do a lot of work with the public and third sectors so you may be working on Green Plans for the NHS, social impact strategies and ESG disclosure for social housing and Higher Education Sustainability Leaders reports.
The role offers a diverse range of activities and will involve both an understanding of technical report writing and the importance of linking sustainability activities to, whilst not detracting from, organisational frontline priorities.
This is a rewarding role that sees real results helping new and returning customers with their energy, asset management and sustainability requirements.
The person coming into this role will be a critical part of a small team serving as a force for good by encouraging customers and stakeholders to adopt, practise and to measure and report against environmentally conscious operating procedures.
You will have the chance to work on and learn about all areas of sustainability reporting. Our focus is on the environmental and social sides of sustainability and we work closely alongside colleagues who specialise in carbon and energy management.
You must have:
• A degree in environmental management, sustainable business practises or a related field that requires strong investigative and analytical skills, e.g. statistics, geography, engineering.
• Demonstrable interest within the field of environmental management, e.g. through having undertaken a related degree or having gained paid or voluntary experience in the sector
• Excellent working knowledge of key Microsoft software packages including Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
• Good report writing and communication skills
• Proven ability to work as part of a team
• Knowledge of environmental legislation in the UK, particularly relating to the built environment
• Knowledge of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and how these apply to business in practise.
• Relevant work experience in sustainability or environmental management auditing and compliance
• Work experience in a customer service environment
The successful candidate will be an analytical thinker who can demonstrate the ability to successfully deliver customer-facing projects.
- The delivery of sustainability consultancy products and services, especially around reporting. This to be delivered in line with national policy objectives, sectoral initiatives and recognised standards and reporting for environmental management, sustainability and sustainable procurement.
- Supporting the creation and distribution of customers’ sustainability disclosures and estates-related reports including, but not limited to, Greening Government reports, Sustainable Development Management Plans (Green Plans), and any future public sector sustainability measurement and reporting requirements that may arise.
- To work alongside colleagues to support customers on energy efficiency and sustainability matters.
- To liaise with customers about matters pertaining to sustainability, sustainable procurement and compliance, highlighting any business risks or opportunities to the senior management team.
- To upload and update information in our Customer Relationship Management software (Sugar), providing reports and information.
- Ensuring services are delivered in line with relevant legislation and Inspired policies including those relating to Social Value, Equality and Diversity, Customer Service and Health and Safety and that you uphold the values of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs.
- To undertake such other duties as may be required from time to time that reasonably fall within the scope and grade of the post.
Read and comply with the company Health & Safety Policy; taking reasonable care for the Health & Safety of themselves and others; co-operate with managers and other employees in fulfilling our objectives and statutory duties.
Qualifications & Experience
- Degree in an analytical subject
- Proven interest in sustainability with the capability to demonstrate an understanding and Awareness of environmental policy
- Excellent IT skills, including working knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Experience working in team
- Experience in preparing written technical reports on sustainability and carbon management to a defined standard (e.g. as part of work experience)
- Knowledge of environmental legislation and mandatory drivers for Net Zero Carbon and wider sustainability
- Interest in sustainable procurement and supply chain management
- Experience using customer relationship management (CRM) software, ideally Sugar CRM
- Experience providing a high level of customer service
This is a multi-faceted role working with colleagues across a range of disciplines including procurement, education, marketing, account management and energy optimisation.
The post holder will be expected to do their job efficiently and contribute to the continuous improvement culture and values of Inspired Energy Public Services.
In Inspired’s Regulated Services division, we look for skills and experience but just as important to us are your values and behaviours. This role would be suitable to a person who:
- Is a team player
- Is able to influence and inspire
- Has a positive outlook and a growth mindset,
- Reflects on their experiences and constantly seeks to improve
- Is a proactive problem-solver
- Has excellent presentations skills both written and verbal
- Displays respect, helpfulness and co-operation to colleagues and customers
- Has the ability to communicate with people from a range of socio-economic backgrounds
- Will be a great ambassador for the Inspired brand.
In return, the right candidate can look forward to a varied and dynamic role in rapidly evolving sector with plenty opportunity to develop skills in sustainable procurement, ESG disclosure, energy management and sustainability.
WHY WORK FOR US?
At Inspired, we’re creating the environment and the opportunities for a challenging and rewarding career. In return, you’ll enjoy a supportive, friendly working environment with benefits including:
- Training and development opportunities
- Company pension
- Numerous Social and Charity events throughout the calendar year
- Endless incentives – from gift vouchers to early finishes
- Performance related bonus
- Free, on-site parking
- Social games area
- Unlimited tea and coffee
- Remote working can be considered for the right candidate
- 4pm finish on Friday